What are root words?
A root word is a real word. We make new words from root words by adding prefixes and suffixes.
Look at these English roots starting with the letter “A”.
Pick one and create 5 new words by adding prefixes and suffixes.
- act, ag:do, act, drive
- Latin, agere: to drive, lead, act, do
- active (adjective): moving about
- am, ami:love, like
- Latin, amare: to love
- amorous (adjective): loving
- anim:mind, life, spirit, anger
- Latin, animus: spirit
- animal (noun): a living creature