DRO: Daily Reading Objective:
Before We Read:
1) Do you know someone who was shot or killed? Who? What happened?
2) Did the person who was shot or killed make the news? Why or Why not?
3) What is your opinion on violence in the African American community?
Link: Article Link
1) Take a look at the picture and the headline. What do you think this article is going to be about?
2) What are 3 obstacles do you think Cook faced in life?
3) What do you think Cook was doing right in her life? Explain at least 3 examples of what she was doing right.
4) This article is called an editorial. Define editorial.
5) What is the author’s purpose in writing this article? (To entertain, inform, or persuade) How does he accomplish his purpose?
6) What can you infer about the author of this article?
1) Why do you think the author chose to write about Cook when the news is flooded with news about Megan Boden? (SLU graduate that was gunned down in her car).