Students will read for understanding, critical thinking, and to connect.
Students will participate in cross content study and read for information.
Students will think critically about the topic.
Before We Read: ( Leave your responses in the reply box. Make sure you write in complete sentences)
1) In what ways do drugs affect the body and the mind?
2) Why do you think people use drugs.
Practice your note taking skills by noting the function of each part of the brain:
2. Basal ganglia:
3. Brain stem:
8. Nucleus accumbens:
9. Spinal cord:
Answer the questions : (In complete sentences)
1. THC, the main active ingredient in marijuana, disrupts the function of the endocannabinoid
system in a person’s brain. Which areas of the brain are critical to the ability to safely drive a car?
How might THC impair driving ability?
2. Which areas of the brain are most in play when studying for a test and why? How would smoking
marijuana affect these areas and a person’s ability to study for a test?
3. How might marijuana use affect a person’s relationships with other people, such as friends,
teachers, or parents? Answer the question in terms of THC’s effect on brain function.
Complete the following notes organizer below. Leave a reply with your answers and notes from the article.