1) Get your iPad-Go to www.mathewsmsb.wordpress.com
2) Start your Tier 2 Vocabulary assignment
Students will read critically for information, understanding, and connection to self.
Students will practice their tier 2 vocabulary and personnally connect to their new words.
Students will practice summarizing.
A. Tier 2 Vocabulary: For each vocabulary word, find a picture and post a link for the picture that represents the word.
1) Address: verb (action)= to speak towards or communicate towards
Example: Keanna addressed her teacher in a polite manner.
2) Affect: verb (action)= to produce results
Reading to your child affects their future reading skills.
1 ) acronym: a word formed from the first letters of a title or organization
Example: (MSB=McCluer South Berkley)
2) analysis: to study something in order to break it into smaller parts
Example: The doctor did an analysis of the test results in order to figure out what was wrong with the patient
B. Critical Reading Assignment:
Read the article from the following link: http://upfront.scholastic.com/issues/10_08_12/book#/6
As you read questions:
1) Why are more states adding tougher restrictions on how and when teens can drive?
2) Give three examples of specific states and the laws they created to impose tougher restrictions on teen drivers.
3) Why are young people taking issue with the driving restrictions? What are the they calling the laws?
Section 2: Texting Behind the Wheel
1) What do studies show about teen drivers concerning multitasking?
2) What did Congress offer states if they strengthen teen driving laws and crack down on texting-and-driving for all ages?
3) Why does the attorney Trautmann say that some of the laws might be dangerous?
C) Use the following statistics from this link to answer the below questions:
Critical Thinking Questions:
1. Why do you think teens are more prone to car accidents than older drivers?
2. Why do you think texting is a factor in so many crashes—for teens and adults?
3. Have you ever felt unsafe while another teen was driving? If so, what did you do and why?
4. Do you think adults are better drivers than young people?
5. What statistics surprise you most?
D. Final Anaysis:
What do you think about teen driving laws? What is your opinion? Support your opinion with at least 3 text-supported details.