Students will practice reading and note taking.
Students will use a graphic organizer to organize their notes.
Do Now: (Please post in the reply box below)
What is an avalanche?
Graphic Organzier: (Use the following graphic organzier to take notes as we read. Create the graphic organzier below in the reply box.)
In complete sentences, answer the reading questions below:
1. Why are most deaths caused by avalanches preventable?
2. What factors do Fredston and Fesler study to determine why and where avalanches occur? Why is their work important?
3. Why is the number of people killed in avalanches each year on the rise? What measuresmight reverse this trend?
4. Based on the graphs on page 9, what can you infer might be the effect on recreationists of using avalanche air bags? Do you think Fredston would agree?
5) What aided Stroud’s rescue?