Students will read for information.
Students will understand a cultural reality for many people across the world.
Students will critically reflect about what they have read and seen.
Students will connect to the text.
1) What is a slum?
Find the definition of a slum and post it to this blog post.
2) Read this article and find 5 new pieces of information that you did not know before:
Link to article: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/02/slum_life.html
3) When you finish, view this slide show about the slums of the world.
Pick the slum, Dharavi, Mumbai, India (Where our story will take place)
In a new post: Answer these questions: regarding one of the people who live in the slums of Mumbai, India:
1. What is this person’s name?
2. What does he/she do to survive?
3. What are the feelings of this person regarding living where he/she does?
4. What are dreams/plans for the future?
5. Reflect in three sentences what slum life is like.
6) What questions do you have about slum life?
7) Why do you think people are allowed to live like this? Why?
8) What possible solutions can you think of that could solve the problems of slum life?