Students will understand how literacy and their future are related.
Students will read for information.
Students will compare and contrast.
Before you read and view:
1) Do you think you read on grade level? Why or Why not?
2) Do you care if you read on grade level? Why or Why not?
Read this short article: http://www.greggriffin.com/Reading%20Scores%20and%20Prison%20Beds.htm
1) What is the author’s message in the article/letter?
2) Do you agree with the author’s opinion? Why or Why not?
3) What is one quote from the article that stood out to you? Type quote. Why did this stand out to you?
Now watch Dr. McCoy’s 4 minute video about Literacy:
4) In 2 sentences, summarize Dr. McCoy’s message.
5) What similarities does this video have with the article that you read?
6) What did you hear in the short video that stood out to you? Why did this stand out to you?